[openstack-dev] Regarding ONOS L3 integration with OpenStack Neutron

Kyle Mestery mestery at mestery.com
Thu Apr 16 13:12:01 UTC 2015

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 1:40 AM, Dongfeng (C) <albert.dongfeng at huawei.com>
wrote:

>  Hi Kyle,
>

> I am currently contributing to integrating ONOS with OpenStack Neutron. I
> just have a doubt. Could you please kindly clarify?

Sure!

>  For L2 integration, it is clear that we can directly develop a ML2
> driver for ONOS without having to register a BP.

Yes.

>  But for L3 integration, since currently there is no provider and driver
> support for L3 router service plugin, do we still need to register a L3
> plugin BP for ONOS?

Np, you can create your own L3 service plugin and just register a bug. You
can in fact keep it out of the tree in your stackforge repository,
OpenDaylight does this already [1]

>  Moreover, if the above BP is needed, will the corresponding code be part
> of Neutron or reside outside neutron as vendor code?

It will be outside. The plugin decomposition spec [2] mandated that all new
drivers which are proposed are thin-shims following the logic in that spec.

Thanks,
Kyle

[1]
https://github.com/stackforge/networking-odl/tree/master/networking_odl/l3