[openstack-dev] [wsme] [ironic] [ceilometer] [magnum] [kite] [tuskar] WSME unmaintained ?

Lucas Alvares Gomes lucasagomes at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 11:41:45 UTC 2015

Hi,

We have a couple of Openstack projects that uses WSME for their REST
APIs[1], but WSME project looks abandoned. The review stats are not good,
for the last 40 days the project didn't have a single review from a core
reviewer[2], the bugs are not being triaged nor fixed [3], I have been
trying to get some core people to look at a review for the last ~2 weeks by
asking for reviews in the #wsme channel without success. Plus, if you look
at the merged patches queue you will see that some people approve their own
patches*.

This all concerns me, I do not want Ironic to rely on unmaintained
technology for our Rest API and I suspect that other projects using WSME
doesn't want that either.

So how can we fix this problem?

* Should projects relying on WSME start thinking about migrating their APIs
to another technology?

* Can we somehow get the core team to start paying more attention to the
project? Or can we elect some people willing to do some review to the core
team ? If so, there's anyone out there that wants help with it?

* Forking the project an option?

[1] https://github.com/search?utf8=%E2%9C
<https://github.com/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=user%3Aopenstack+extension%3Atxt+wsme&type=Code&ref=searchresults>

%93&q=user%3Aopenstack+extension%3Atxt+wsme&type=Code&ref=searchresults
<https://github.com/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=user%3Aopenstack+extension%3Atxt+wsme&type=Code&ref=searchresults>
[2] http://stackalytics.com/report/contribution/wsme/40

[3] https://bugs.launchpad.net/wsme/

* I don't consider it super bad for such a small project, but when nobody
else get things reviewed apart from cores approving their own patches it
does concerns me.

Cheers,
Lucas