[openstack-dev] [all] proposed/kilo is dead, long live stable/kilo

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Apr 16 07:54:24 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

As part of the requirements unfreezing work, to limit the complexity of
the gate branch juggling between proposed/kilo and stable/kilo branches,
we decided to simplify the branching around release time.

Previously we used "proposed/$SERIES" branches (currently proposed/kilo)
between RC1 and release day, then rename those "stable/$SERIES" on
release day. That allowed to apply specific ACLs pre-release, as well as
convey the right meaning (a pre-release is not stable yet).

That said that created complexity as the gate tooling had to special
case proposed/* branches. With requirements and libraries now directly
using stable/* branches, we encountered new issues with that setup, so
it just seemed simpler to use stable/* branches starting at RC1 for the
integrated release as well.

Release tooling and documentation will be updated to mention usage of
stable/* instead of proposed/*. As far as you're concerned, Kilo release
branch backports should now be proposed to stable/kilo instead of
proposed/kilo (NB: Doug already re-proposed the existing proposed/kilo
changes). Release candidate testing should track stable/kilo instead of
proposed/kilo.

Also note that stable/kilo observes special ACLs and rules until release
day. It is handled by the release management team (rather than the
stable maintenance team). No change should be approved for merging there
unless:

- the corresponding RC window is opened for that project
- the backport references a bug targeted to that RC milestone
- the corresponding fix already merged in master

In doubt, do not approve.

Thierry Carrez (ttx)