[openstack-dev] [Nova][Neutron] Linuxbridge as the default in DevStack [was: Status of the nova-network to Neutron migration work]

Tom Fifield tom at openstack.org
Thu Apr 16 00:58:43 UTC 2015

On 14/04/15 23:36, Dean Troyer wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 7:02 AM, Miguel Angel Ajo Pelayo
> <mangelajo at redhat.com <mailto:mangelajo at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     Why would operators install from devstack? that’s not going to be
>     the case.
>

> If they do they need more help than we can give...

So, ummm, there is actually a valid use case for ops on devstack: it's
part of the learning process.

In my rounds, I've had feedback from more than a few whose first
OpenStack experience was to run up a devstack, so they could run ps
aufx, brctl, iptables, etc just to see what was going on under the
covers before moving on to something more 'proper'.

While acknowledging that the primary purpose and audience of devstack is
and should remain development and developers, if there is something we
can do to improve the experience for those ops first-timers that doesn't
have a huge impact on devs, it would be kinda nice.

After all, one of the reasons this thread exists is because of problems
with that ramp up process, no?