[openstack-dev] [all] QPID incompatible with python 3 and untested in gate -- what to do?

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Wed Apr 15 17:33:03 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Ken Giusti's message of 2015-04-15 09:31:18 -0400:
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 6:23 PM, Joshua Harlow <harlowja at outlook.com> wrote:
> > Ken Giusti wrote:
> >>
> >> Just to be clear: you're asking specifically about the 0-10 based
> >> impl_qpid.py driver, correct?   This is the driver that is used for
> >> the "qpid://" transport (aka rpc_backend).
> >>
> >> I ask because I'm maintaining the AMQP 1.0 driver (transport
> >> "amqp://") that can also be used with qpidd.
> >>
> >> However, the AMQP 1.0 driver isn't yet Python 3 compatible due to its
> >> dependency on Proton, which has yet to be ported to python 3 - though
> >> that's currently being worked on [1].
> >>
> >> I'm planning on porting the AMQP 1.0 driver once the dependent
> >> libraries are available.
> >>
> >> [1]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PROTON-490
> >

> > What's the expected date on this as it appears this also blocks python 3
> > work as well... Seems like that hasn't been updated since nov 2014 which
> > doesn't inspire that much confidence (especially for what appears to be
> > mostly small patches).
> >

> Good point.  I reached out to the bug owner.  He got it 'mostly
> working' but got hung up on porting the proton unit tests.   I've
> offered to help this along and he's good with that.  I'll make this a
> priority to move this along.
>
> In terms of availability - proton tends to do releases about every 4-6
> months.  They just released 0.9, so the earliest availability would be
> in that 4-6 month window (assuming that should be enough time to
> complete the work).   Then there's the time it will take for the
> various distros to pick it up...
>
> so, definitely not 'real soon now'. :(

This seems like a case where if we can get the libs we need to a point
where they install via pip, we can let the distros catch up instead of
waiting for them.

Similarly, if we have *an* approach for Python 3 on oslo.messaging, that
means the library isn't blocking us from testing applications with
Python 3. If some of the drivers lag, their test jobs may need to be
removed or disabled if the apps start testing under Python 3.

Doug