[openstack-dev] [neutron] openwrt VM as service

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 16:55:06 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 2:37 AM, Guo, Ruijing <ruijing.guo at intel.com> wrote:

>   I’d like to propose openwrt VM as service.
>

> What’s openWRT VM as service:
>

> a)            Tenant can download openWRT VM from
> http://downloads.openwrt.org/
>
> b)            Tenant can create WAN interface from external public network
>
> c)            Tenant can create private network and create instance from
> private network
>
> d)            Tenent can configure openWRT for several services including
> DHCP, route, QoS, ACL and VPNs.

So first off, I'll be the first on in line to promote using OpenWRT for the
basis of appliances for this sort of thing.  I use it to overcome the 'joy'
of VirtualBox's local networking and love what it can do in 64M RAM.

However, what you are describing are services, yes, but I think to focus on
the OpenWRT part of it is missing the point.  For example, Neutron has a
VPNaaS already, but I agree it can also be built using OpenWRT and
OpenVPN.  I don't think it is a stand-alone service though, using a
combination of Heat/{ansible|chef|puppet|salt}/any other
deployment/orchestration can get you there.  I have a shell script
somewhere for doing exactly that on AWS from way back.

What I've always wanted was an image builder that would customize the
packages pre-installed.  This would be especially useful for disposable
ramdisk-only or JFFS images that really can't install additional packages.
Such a front-end to the SDK/imagebuilder sounds like about half of what you
are talking about above.

Also, FWIW, a while back I packaged up a micro cloud-init replacement[0] in
shell that turns out to be really useful.  It's based on something I
couldn't find again to give proper attribution so if anyone knows who
originated this I'd be grateful.

dt

[0] https://github.com/dtroyer/openwrt-packages/tree/master/rc.cloud
--