[openstack-dev] [all][pbr] splitting our deployment vs install dependencies

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Apr 15 12:51:36 UTC 2015

On 2015-04-15 11:06:20 +0200 (+0200), Thierry Carrez wrote:
> And the doc is indeed pretty clear. I assumed "requirements.txt" would
> describe... well... requirements. But like Robert said they are meant to
> describe specific deployments (should really be have been named
> deployment.txt, or at least dependencies.txt).

It may also just be that we overloaded the meaning of that filename
convention without realizing. Rewind to a couple years ago we had
essentially the same file but it was called tools/pip-requires
instead. I wonder if continuing to have it called something else
would have been less confusing to the Python developer community,
but the damage is done now.

Ultimately we just want a way to maintain a list of application or
library dependencies in such a way that when someone uses pip
install they get a fully-working installation without having to know
to run additional commands, and for us to be able to keep that list
in a machine-parsable file which isn't also source code fed to a
turing-complete interpreter.
--
Jeremy Stanley