[openstack-dev] [devstack] plugin: Giving ability for plugin repo to override tempest tests

Deepak Shetty dpkshetty at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 10:52:51 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 3:59 PM, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:

> On 04/15/2015 01:51 AM, Andrey M. Pavlov wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We have similar situation with our stackforge/ec2-api project.
> > Patches in openstack repos can break our plugin.
> > But I don't see any possibility until our project not in OpenStack repo.
> > And I don't understand how plugins for tempest can help to us.
> >
> > My thoughts is only ec2-api gating jobs(this is implemented now in our
> > gating):
> > - make own tempest job with plugin definition and restrict tempest with
> > regex

Andrey,
   Could you give some pointers (link to patches maybe) on this. I did not
completely understand what you mean here.

> > but inserting regex in plugin can restrict to have several tempest jobs
> > and not all gating job requires tempest
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Andrey.
>
> I think the right approach is as Andrey describes, build a custom test
> job appropriate for your system.
>
> I'm not a huge fan of having plugins disable tests themselves because
> it's not clear to the consumer that some part of your validation stack
> was just disabled. I think that should be a separate specific decision
> made by whoever is running those tests to turn a thing off.

I think the consumer is aware because he is using the enable_plugin
so everything that the plugin sets or unsets is effective for this env.

I feel plugin havign ability to set tempest regex also helps the plugin
author ensure that the CI job runs well before the regex makes into
the plugin, as the CI job is voting for plugin repo (it is for glusterfs
case)

so its a good way to validate ur changes before running against cinder
patches. Since we don't have it today, we need to wait for project-config
patch to get the tempest regex changes in, hence need to wait for
project-config reviewers to bless .. which adds to the latency of getting
a fix in

thanx,
deepak