[openstack-dev] [Nova] Maintaining focus on Kilo

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Apr 15 09:12:27 UTC 2015

Dan Smith wrote:
>> we need to make sure we continue to progress on bugs targeted as
>> likely to need backport to Kilo. The current list is here --
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bugs?field.tag=kilo-rc-potential .
>>
>> Bugs on that list which have fixes merged and backports prepared will
>> stand a very good chance of getting released in any RC2 we do, or in
>> the first stable point release for Kilo.
>
> IMHO, this list is already too long. If we decide to do an rc2, I'd like
> to see that slimmed down to as little as possible and do the remainder
> as backports.
>
> If we decide to have an rc2, can we agree to have an informal meeting to
> scrub that list to only critical things?

Right, the way we usually do this is:

1- a release candidate respin becomes warranted for some reason
(critical missing piece in code tarball, critical bugfix, security issue...)

2- a release candidate window is opened (milestone created in Launchpad)

3- we collectively review the list of FixCommitted stuff in master to
see which fixes are safe and useful to backport, and target
corresponding bugs to kilo-rc2

4- Once the backports are all in, tag the rc2 and close the RC window

Your help is definitely welcome on step 1 (to spot showstoppers) and 3
(to properly judge the risk/benefit of last-minute backports)

Cheers,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)