[openstack-dev] [all] QPID incompatible with python 3 and untested in gate -- what to do?

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Tue Apr 14 23:10:03 UTC 2015

On 14/04/15 10:22 -0700, Clint Byrum wrote:
>Hello! There's been some recent progress on python3 compatibility for
>core libraries that OpenStack depends on[1], and this is likely to open
>the flood gates for even more python3 problems to be found and fixed.
>
>Recently a proposal was made to make oslo.messaging start to run python3
>tests[2], and it was found that qpid-python is not python3 compatible yet.
>
>This presents us with questions: Is anyone using QPID, and if so, should
>we add gate testing for it? If not, can we deprecate the driver? In the
>most recent survey results I could find [3] I don't even see message
>broker mentioned, whereas Databases in use do vary somewhat.
>
>Currently it would appear that only oslo.messaging runs functional tests
>against QPID. I was unable to locate integration testing for it, but I
>may not know all of the places to dig around to find that.
>
>So, please let us know if QPID is important to you. Otherwise it may be
>time to unburden ourselves of its maintenance.
>
>[1] https://pypi.python.org/pypi/eventlet/0.17.3
>[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/172135/
>[3] http://superuser.openstack.org/articles/openstack-user-survey-insights-november-2014

My understanding is that there are deployments using QPID. I'd
recommend sending this email to the ops mailing list and the users
mailing list too. This should give it more visibility.

That said, in case suppor tfor python 3 is not done in reasonable
times, I'd recommend moving this driver into its own project instead
of just killing it. If necessary, we can also mark it as
un-maintained. This will allow for us to keep working on the py3k
support and it'll also give time to people for migrating to a
different messaging solution.

Cheers,
Flavio

--