[openstack-dev] [magnum] About clean none use container image

Adrian Otto adrian.otto at rackspace.com
Tue Apr 14 15:51:26 UTC 2015

I agree with Fang that controlling image purge functionality with optional parameters offers the flexibility needed to balance performance and security concerns.

Perhaps there are two API calls where we could implement such an option:

/v1/container/post (create)
/vi/container/delete

That way you could default to either “secure” or “performance”, and optionally select the alternate depending on the value of the parameter you supply when the API is called.

Note that Docker (unless forced) will not allow the deletion of a container image until all containers created from that image are also deleted. We will want to be sure we have adequate tests to be sure that related uses are tested, and have exceptions that raise actionable error messages when raised. Let’s not have an “unknown exception” when I try to delete a container, and I get an error when it tries to delete the container image, but can’t because there is another container running that used the same image.

Finally, we might also want to allow a user to specify whether untagged parents should be pruned or not (ie: docker rmi —no-prune=true)

Adrian