[openstack-dev] [all] Proposed Liberty release schedule

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Apr 13 14:06:36 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

Although we'll discuss in Vancouver future changes in the release
schedule/model, for Liberty we'll still use a "default" 6-month cycle
with intermediary milestones.

Looking at the date for the Tokyo summit (Oct 27-30), that leaves two
options for the Liberty release date: Oct 15 or Oct 8. October 8 would
result in a *very* short cycle (23 weeks), so I think October 15 is the
best option.

Working backward from there, that would place liberty-3 (feature freeze)
at September 3. We could consider making the pre-release period one week
shorter, but we made full usage of the 6 weeks we have between FF and
release those last cycles, so I think it makes more sense to keep that.

Working backward again, that places liberty-2 at July 30 and liberty-1
either June 18 or June 25. June 18 might be a bit too close to the
summit so a bit useless, so I guess June 25 is slightly better.

In summary, here is the proposed Liberty "common" schedule:

liberty-1: June 25th
liberty-2: July 30th
liberty-3: September 3rd
final release: October 15th

Let me know if you see issues with it, like crazy holidays somewhere
that would ruin it.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)