[openstack-dev] [oslo] eventlet 0.17.3 is now fully Python 3 compatible

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Apr 13 12:54:03 UTC 2015

On 2015-04-13 04:03:49 -0400 (-0400), Victor Stinner wrote:
> Great. Did you notice a performance regression?

Nope. Worth noting, we implemented it primarily for its lack of
compiled extensions, and to a lesser because it supports Python 3.x.
I suspect if we do later run into any unexpected performance
issues... well, it's pure Python. We have lots of people who can
help.

> Mike wrote that PyMySQL is much slower than MySQL-Python.

I don't recall him saying that specifically. Also last I recall he
admitted he hadn't actually tested under the sorts of load we would
drive in a production OpenStack service--merely performed some
fairly artificial benchmarks looping known-expensive operations that
may not ultimately reflect places in our codebase where introducing
any sort of slowdown would be noticeable compared to other
operations being performed.

Chances are the Project Infrastructure systems will continue
incrementally switching to PyMySQL mainly because it's easier to
install and works on a broader variety of platforms.
--
Jeremy Stanley