[openstack-dev] [all][pbr] splitting our deployment vs install dependencies

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Sun Apr 12 23:12:38 UTC 2015

On 04/12/2015 06:43 PM, Robert Collins wrote:
> Right now we do something that upstream pip considers wrong: we make
> our requirements.txt be our install_requires.
>
> Upstream there are two separate concepts.
>
> install_requirements, which are meant to document what *must* be
> installed to import the package, and should encode any mandatory
> version constraints while being as loose as otherwise possible. E.g.
> if package A depends on package B version 1.5 or above, it should say
> B>=1.5 in A's install_requires. They should not specify maximum
> versions except when that is known to be a problem: they shouldn't
> borrow trouble.
>
> deploy requirements - requirements.txt - which are meant to be *local
> to a deployment*, and are commonly expected to specify very narrow (or
> even exact fit) versions.

tl;dr - I'm mostly in support of what you're saying - but I'm going to
bludgeon it some.

To be either fair or unfair, depending on how you look at it - some
people upstream consider those two to be a pattern, but it is not
encoded anywhere except in hidden lore that is shared between secret
people. Upstream's tools have bumpkiss for support for this, and if we
hadn't drawn a line in the sand encoding SOME behavior there would still
be nothing.

Nor, btw, is it the right split. It optimizes for the wrong thing.

rust gets it wright. There is a Cargo.toml and a Cargo.lock, which are
understood by the tooling in a manner similar to what you have
described, and it is not just understood but DOCUMENTED that an
_application_ should ship with a Cargo.lock and a _library_ should not.

Without the library/application distinction, the effort in
differentiating is misplaced, I believe - because it's libraries that
need flexible depends - and applications where the specific set of
depends that were tested in CI become important to consumers.

> What pbr, which nearly if not all OpenStack projects use, does, is to
> map the contents of requirements.txt into install_requires. And then
> we use the same requirements.txt in our CI to control whats deployed
> in our test environment[*]. and there we often have tight constraints
> like seen here -
> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/requirements/tree/global-requirements.txt#n63

That is, btw, because that's what the overwhelming majority of consumers
assume those files mean. I take "overwhelming majority" from the days
when we had files but did not process them automatically and everyone
was confused.

> I'd like to align our patterns with those of upstream, so that we're
> not fighting our tooling so much.

Ok. I mean, they don't have a better answer, but if it makes "python"
hate us less, sweet.

> Concretely, I think we need to:
>  - teach pbr to read in install_requires from setup.cfg, not requirements.txt
>  - when there are requirements in setup.cfg, stop reading requirements.txt
>  - separate out the global intall_requirements from the global CI
> requirements, and update our syncing code to be aware of this
>
> Then, setup.cfg contains more open requirements suitable for being on
> PyPI, requirements.txt is the local CI set we know works - and can be
> much more restrictive as needed.
>
> Thoughts? If there's broad apathy-or-agreement I can turn this into a
> spec for fine coverage of ramifications and corner cases.

I'm concerned that it adds a layer of difference that is confusing to
people for the sole benefit of pleasing someone else's pedantic worldview.

I'm also concerned that dstufft is actively wanting to move towards a
world where the build tooling is not needed or used as part of the
install pipeline (metadata 2.0) -- so I'm concerned that we're aligning
with a pattern that isn't very robust and isn't supported by tooling
directly and that we're going to need to change understood usage
patterns across a large developer based to chase something that _still_
isn't going to be "how people do it"

I'm concerned that "how people do it" is a myth not worth chasing.

I'm not _opposed_ to making this richer and more useful for people. I
just don't know what's broken currently for us.

Monty