[openstack-dev] [all] how to send messages (and events) to our users

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Fri Apr 10 15:20:21 UTC 2015

On 10/04/15 10:00 -0400, Ryan Brown wrote:
> [...]
>>
>>     - What should be feeding inputs into the queue? Some service that
>>     consumes the existing oslo messaging notifications and sanitises
>>     them for the user?
>>

>> I think if we use Zaqar, it would be madness to not do this. *But* we
>> have to be really careful we don't end up sending sensitive deployment
>> information
>> to the user.
>>

>>     Or would every service publish its user notifications directly to
>>     the queue? I think this might vary on a case-by-case basis. For
>>     things like log messages, warnings and the like, I can see that
>>     having a single place to configure it would be valuable. For other
>>     things, like the hooks we just added in Heat to allow the user to
>>     insert their own actions into Heat's workflow, it may make more
>>     sense for the user to explicitly provide the Zaqar topic they want
>>     notification on. Which leads to a final question:
>>
>>     - Are there different use cases here that require different
>>     solutions? I'm pretty sure that Zaqar is the Right Thing for things
>>     like Heat workflow hooks, Ceilometer alarms, triggering Mistral
>>     workflows, &c. However we should at least consider the possibility
>>     that there's a better fit for the more logging-like things. As I
>>     mentioned, I think on the back end they will likely look quite
>>     different. I'd like to think that the user-facing part could be the
>>     same, but it would be interesting to hear from anyone who disagrees.
>>     In particular, if we were to go as far as allowing users to use the
>>     same mechanism for their own application logging, then Zaqar would
>>     probably not be the best channel for it.
>>

>> Use cases:
>> 1. structured-logging/events/notifications that the end user can access
>> (the main use case I am trying to solve here)
>>    - for heat this would be a replacement to our event table and enable
>> us to send more events (so we don't have to worry about burning up our
>> db with events)
>>    - for any other service this would be a great new feature that allows
>> the user more insight into what is happening with their resources.
>>
>> 2. Heat's two way comms with the user (hooks?)
>>   - I am not at all covering that use case in this discussion - I think
>> a completely different issue.
>>
>> 3. Ceilometer/Monasca alarms
>> (the assumption is that besides webhooks we add other transports)
>> - Again I wasn't trying to solve this problem - but could be in-scope.
>>
>> 4. integration with in-server logging
>> (your server applications log to syslog, the question is can we get that
>> logging "nicely" to the user
>>  and potentially integrate with "1." - this was more of a nice-to-have)
>> - for a nice example of how this can be
>> done: https://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/logging
>>
>> Could Zaqar fulfil all of these use case? - Maybe.
>
>Zaqar as it presently exists, maybe. Zaqar *wants* to fit these cases,
>and they want our feedback if they are missing anything to support these.

Yes, please. I'd go a bit further than this and say we're willing to
help on getting this done as that'll be one of the things the team
will focus on in the next cycle.

>The biggest stretch here IMO is (4) because not all Zaqar storage
>backends support strict ordering, but that can be fixed at the
>application layer.

Correct, right now the mongodb storage is the only one with support
for FIFO. This has been made optional in Kilo.

Cheers,
Flavio

--
@flaper87