[openstack-dev] [Neutron] The specs process, effective operators feedback and product management

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Apr 10 12:17:59 UTC 2015

Rochelle Grober wrote:
> I’d like to introduce the Neutron Drivers (and others) to the Product
> Working Group.  We are a bunch of “influencers” who are focused on
> adding value through some broader outlooks in the OpenStack community.
> And yes, many of us are or have been Product/Program/Project managers.
>
> We’ve just started (first meeting was at the Paris summit) and have been
> brainstorming on ways our skillsets could be applied to the OpenStack
> Environment.  A number of us have stepped up to provide some drive for
> cross project efforts and all of us have been reaching out to work with
> PTLs and developers and Ops and Users on how we can lighten their
> loads.  One way we are looking at is to provide some tracking of
> development efforts and plans, along with providing Use Cases to
> projects that will help developers figure out how to address User and
> Operator functionality or other gaps.

+1

In particular we've been talking about using the Product Managers WG to
coalesce input from various other downstream usage groups (Ops, but also
Win the Enterprise, Telco, Service Provider...) into a short list of
actionable priorities.

That list could be mixed with development priorities (paying down
technical debt is important, too), then proposed to developers (you need
volunteers to implement those, too) to result in a good set of goals for
the next release.

I think that is more useful and more complete that a popularity contest
on features, and at least worth a try.

Rocky: any idea of the progress there ?

(PSA: cross-posting is evil and results in cross-hatched threads that
can't be followed)

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)