[openstack-dev] [cinder] Is there any way to put the driver backend error message to the horizon

John Griffith john.griffith8 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 12:11:05 UTC 2015

On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 6:16 AM, liuxinguo <liuxinguo at huawei.com> wrote:

>  Hi,
>

> When we create a volume in the horizon, there may occurrs some errors at
> the driver
>
> backend, and the in horizon we just see a “error” in the volume status.
>

> So is there any way to put the error information to the horizon so users
> can know what happened exactly just from the horizon?
>
>  Thanks,
>
> Liu

> ​The challenge here is that the calls to the driver are async, so we don't
actually have any direct feedback/messages regarding the result.  One thing
that's been talked about in the past is adding additional information to
the status which could be presented so that end users and tools like
Horizon would have a little more information.

The trick is however we also do NOT want driver info going back to the end
user, the whole point of Cinder is to abstract all of that backend specific
type stuff.  The idea kicked around in the past was to introduce a
sub-state with a bit more detail, but still wouldn't be anything specific
from the driver.

Sounds like a good topic to revisit for the Liberty release.​