[openstack-dev] [oslo] eventlet 0.17.3 is now fully Python 3 compatible

Victor Stinner vstinner at redhat.com
Fri Apr 10 11:01:44 UTC 2015

> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Python3#Dependencies appears to be fairly out of date.

You're right. I updated this wiki page. In practice, much more OpenStack clients, Common Libraries and Development Tools are already Python 3 compatible. I added the link to my pull request for Oslo Messaging.

> It would be nice to get a better sense of what the remaining libraries to port over are before the summit so we can start planning how to do the python34 migration.

I checked quickly. There are small libraries like pyEClib required by Swift, but the major blocker libraries are: MySQL-Python, suds, Paste. For oslo.db, it's already Python 3 compatible no?

* MySQL-Python

MySQL-Python doesn't look to be active (last commit in january 2014). There are multiple Python 3 pending pull requests: https://github.com/farcepest/MySQLdb1/pulls

Mike Bayer is evaluating PyMySQL which is Python 3 compatible:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/PyMySQL_evaluation

See also https://github.com/farcepest/moist (is it alive? is it Python 3 compatible?)

* suds

There is https://bitbucket.org/jurko/suds : a fork compatible with Python 3. Global requirements contain this comment:

# NOTE(dims): suds is not python 3.x compatible, suds-jurko is a fork that
# works with py3x. oslo.vmware would convert to suds-jurko first then nova
# and cinder would follow. suds should be remove immediately once those
# projects move to suds-jurko for all jobs.

* Paste

I already fixed Python 3 compatibility issues and my changes were merged, but there is no release including my fixes yet :-(

I heard that Paste is completly outdated and should be replaced. Ok, but in practice it's still used and not Python 3 compatible.

Workaround: use the development (git) version of Paste.

For the full list, see the wiki page:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Python3#Core_OpenStack_projects

Victor