[openstack-dev] [all] how to send messages (and events) to our users

Min Pae sputnik13 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 16:27:05 UTC 2015

I would agree that the reason monasca had to roll their own notification
system is likely because one wasn't available, but whether that should be a
separate (stand alone separate project) vs integrated service (part of
something like monasca) is, to some extent, debatable.

No argument on the fact that this is a cross-cutting concern, and as
publishing notifications to users.

Whether the notification system/service is separated or integrated, what
would be the best method to use?  Angus started the thread asking whether
such a service should be something that pushes to other existing endpoints
that the user supplies (syslog), or a publicly available message queue
(zaqar), and there was a suggestion to use something like AMQP as well.

I assert a public/user facing notification system should be web
centric/native for the reason I cited before, one of the consumers of such
a notification system will very likely be web browsers (perhaps even
horizon itself).  If there’s agreement on this point (which I guess there
isn’t, or nobody has really chimed in on it yet), then the next thing would
be to identify the best protocol/transport for communicating the
notifications.  I threw out Atom as a potential method, but by no means am
I advocating Atom, just that it be a web centric protocol.

Also, I’m of the mind that notification/event messaging there should be a
multi-tiered approach to notification/event messaging, where there’s
probably an internal message bus (be it rabbitmq, kafka, activemq, or what
have you) that all services publish to for consumption by other services,
and a consumer of said internal message bus that then publishes the events
publicly to users in a web native protocol.  BTW, I don’t mean open access
public, I mean public facing public.  There should still be access controls
on consuming the public facing notifications.

- Min