[openstack-dev] [Horizon] [all] django_openstack_auth potential release

Akihiro Motoki amotoki at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 22:10:23 UTC 2015

> django_openstack_auth is a library solely consumed by Horizon in OpenStack.
> We've run into a potential requirements.txt issue.
>
> Horizon recently added support for Django 1.7 (1.8 released in the last
> week, but let's ignore that). The reasoning was that Django 1.6 the previous
> cap is no longer supported by Django at all, even for security fixes. After
> adding support, the global-requirements were updated [1] to support an upper
> end cap of Django 1.7. All is good. Or maybe not.
>
> So the global requirement and horizon repos now match:
>
> Django>=1.4.2,<1.8
>
> The current released version of django_openstack_auth is 1.1.9. And the
> requirements.txt for that version states
>
> Django>=1.4.2,<1.7
>
> The worry that arose is what dependency problems does this raise for
> deployers and distros? The 1.1.9 released version of django_openstack_auth
> code actually supports Django 1.7 even though the requirements don't include
> that version. But dependency negotiation may result in only 1.6 being used.
>
> So we have a couple of options. First, leave django_openstack_auth at 1.1.9
> and let deployers and distros rationalize which version of Django they want
> to use and negotiate the dependency issues independently.

At least the upstream released version should provide the correct
requirements files
so that Django 1.7 is installed, so I think the first option may bring
confusion.

> Or second, release
> a new version of django_openstack_auth and determine if we want to fix the
> version django_openstack_auth in global-requirements.txt or leave the upper
> cap unbound.

I prefer the second option to release a new version of
django-openstack-auth for Kilo (with Django 1.7 support)
because some features of Kilo Horizon require a new version of
django-openstack-auth.
The new version will be 1.2.0 as it has new features with keeping the
backward compatibility.
It sounds reasonable to me that Kilo Horizon requires:

    django-openstack-auth>=1.2.0,<1.3.0.

For Juno release, both Horizon and django-openstack-auth 1.1.9 or
older version requires Django <1.7.
Both use the same version and it looks good.

I believe this makes the situation simple.

The third option is to change only requirements file to Django<1.8 and
release django-openstack-auth 1.1.10, but it will be a bit difficult because
we need to cut a branch for kilo first.

Akihiro

Akihiro Motoki <amotoki at gmail.com>