[openstack-dev] [qa][nova][ironic] How to run microversions tests on the gate

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Wed Apr 8 10:53:02 UTC 2015

On 04/08/2015 03:58 AM, Dmitry Tantsur wrote:
> On 04/08/2015 06:23 AM, Ken'ichi Ohmichi wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Now Nova and Ironic have implemented API microversions in Kilo.
>> Nova's microversions are v2.1 - v2.3.
>> Ironic's microversions are v1.1 - v1.6.
>>
>> Now Tempest is testing the lowest microversion on the gate, and
>> Ironic's microversions test patch[1] is on the gerrit.
>> Before merging the patch, I'd like to propose consistent test way for
>> microversions of Nova and Ironic.
>>
>> My suggestion is the test target microversions are:
>> * the lowest microversion
>> * the biggest microversion, but don't use the keyword "latest" on a
>> header and these microversions tests are operated on different gate
>> jobs.
>>
>> The lowest microversion is already tested on check-tempest-dsvm-full
>> or something, so this proposes just to add the biggest microversion
>> job like check-tempest-dsvm-full-big-microversion.
>>
>> [background]
>> In long-term, these microversions continue increasing and it is
>> difficult to run Tempest for all microversions on the gate because of
>> test workload. So I feel we need to select microversions which are
>> tested on the gate for efficient testing.
>>
>> [the lowest microversion]
>> On microversion mechanism, if a client *doesn't* specify favorite
>> microversion in its request header, a Nova/Ironic server considers the
>> request as the lowest microversion. So the lowest microversion is
>> default behavior and important. I think we need to test it at least.
>>
>> [the biggest microversion]
>> On microversion mechanism, if a client specify the keyword "latest" in
>> its request header instead of microversion, a Nova/Ironic server works
>> on the biggest microversion behavior.
>> During the development, there is time lag between each project dev and
>> Tempest dev. After adding a new API on a project, corresponding tests
>> are added to Tempest in most cases. So if specifying the keyword
>> "latest", Tempest would not handle the request/response and fail,
>> because Tempest can not catch the latest API changes until
>> corresponding Tempest patch is merged.
>> So it is necessary to have the target microversion config option in
>> Tempest and pass specific biggest microversion to Tempest with
>> openstack-infra/project-config.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>
> Hi! I've already stated this point in #openstack-ironic and I'd like to
> reiterate: if we test only the lowest and the highest microversions
> essentially means (or at least might mean) that the other are broken. At
> least in Ironic only some unit tests actually touch code paths for
> versions 1.2-1.5. As we really can't test too many versions, I suggest
> we stop producing a microversion for every API feature feature change in
> L. No idea what to do with 1.2-1.5 now except for politely asking people
> not to use them :D

Tempest shouldn't be the *only* test for a project API. The projects
themselves need to take some ownership for their API getting full
coverage with in tree testing, including whatever microversion strategy
they are employing.

My original thoughts about this would be that Tempest tests without
versions (so the low end), plus there could be specific Tempest tests
added for new microversions.

Regression of 'latest' should be a low probability event, caught by the
project in tree. So I think that Tempest on every run for that is
excessive. Instead I'd say that should go into periodic changes instead.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net