[openstack-dev] [RelMgt] PTL Candidacy

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Apr 8 10:18:01 UTC 2015

Hello list,

I'm announcing my candidacy for OpenStack Release Cycle Management PTL
for the Liberty cycle.

Release Management is a function that existed since the inception of
OpenStack and I always filled that role, so this candidacy may sound
like business as usual. I like to think there are a lot of important
changes we need to implement during the Liberty cycle though, which
makes it extra-interesting.

First, we need to scale and evolve the various Release Cycle Management
subteams to accommodate the big-tent initiative. How to scale those
central activities to a higher number of OpenStack projects ? That
effort is already started for the stable maintenance subteam, which
implemented a number of structural changes to support more projects
while preserving the ideals outlined in the Stable branch policy. For
the release subteam, that means evolving from doing only direct release
management to providing advice, reusable tools and documented processes.
It is a pretty significant change that will require a bit of work and
recruitment in the team, and I'd like to lead that change if you give me
your trust.

Second, we need to have a discussion on long-term evolution of the
release model to better serve our users. The "6-month cycle with 3
intermediary milestones" was always a compromise between our stable
support and documentation capacity and our goal of "releasing early,
releasing often". As our base projects slowly mature and we welcome more
"OpenStack" projects, we want to reconsider that trade-off and at least
bring some flexibility to it. I think my experience there can be useful
while we navigate that treacherous pass.

You'll note that I'm not mentioning the Vulnerability Management Subteam
anymore, since that one got reassigned to the new "Security" team that
just got approved.

Thank you for your consideration !

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)