[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Consistent variable documentation for diskimage-builder elements

Gregory Haynes greg at greghaynes.net
Tue Apr 7 21:06:52 UTC 2015

Hello,

Id like to propse a standard for consistently documenting our
diskimage-builder elements. I have pushed a review which transforms the
apt-sources element to this format[1][2]. Essentially, id like to move
in the direction of making all our element README.rst's contain a sub
section called Environment Vairables with a Definition List[3] where
each entry is the environment variable. Under that environment variable
we will have a field list[4] with Required, Default, Description, and
optionally Example.

The goal here is that rather than users being presented with a wall of
text that they need to dig through to remember the name of a variable,
there is a quick way for them to get the information they need. It also
should help us to remember to document the vital bits of information for
each vairable we use.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Greg