[openstack-dev] [nova] Host maintenance notification

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Mon Apr 6 14:46:47 UTC 2015

On 04/06/2015 07:56 AM, Ed Leafe wrote:
> On Apr 6, 2015, at 1:21 AM, Chris Friesen <chris.friesen at windriver.com>
> wrote:
>
>>> Please feel free to add a blueprint in Launchpad. I don't see this as
>>> needing a full spec, really. It shouldn't be more than a few lines of
>>> code to send a new notification message.
>>
>> Wouldn't a new notification message count as an API change?  Or are we
>> saying that it's such a small API change that any discussion can happen in
>> the blueprint?
>
> I don't think that the notification system is the same as the API. It is
> something that you can subscribe to or not, and is distinct from the API.

It's certainly not the same as the REST API.  I think an argument could be made
that the notification system is part of the API, where API is defined more
generally as "something that expresses a software component in terms of its
operations, inputs, outputs, and underlying types".

If we don't exercise any control over the contents of the notifications
messages, that would make it difficult for consumers of the notifications to do
anything interesting with them.  At a minimum it might make sense to do
something like REST API microversions, with a version number and a place to look
up what changed with each version.

Chris