[openstack-dev] [QA] PTL Candidacy

Matthew Treinish mtreinish at kortar.org
Fri Apr 3 16:33:39 UTC 2015

Hi Everyone,

I'd like to throw my hat into the ring for another cycle as the PTL for the QA
program/team/group/whatever it's called under the new governance model.

This past cycle has been a very exciting one for the QA program. We've made a
bunch of progress on numerous work items to improve the growing number of
projects under the QA umbrella. While this work is ongoing we've also had to
adapt as the wider community has been moving to a new governance model.

We've been working to make the QA program more externally accessible and
consumable in preparation for a large growth in the number of projects. On the
tempest side this has meant a steady expansion of code being moved into
tempest-lib to provide resources, which were previously only available in
tempest, externally consumable. For devstack we've seen the addition of plugin
support which allows new projects to leverage deploying, testing, and developing
with devstack without needing to modify devstack's code itself.

Another effort which I outlined in my candidacy email for this past cycle [1]
and a blog post preceding that [2] was the work to make the QA projects more
modular and reusable. It turned out that this work lines up quite well with what
is needed to enable the self service model we're working towards under the big
tent. I expect that as we continue to evolve our current set of projects to be
more modular and work under the big tent that using the tooling in different
workflows will also improve.

Moving into Liberty my plan is to continue heading down this same path and
working to enable more projects to become self sufficient when using QA
projects. To this end I expect we'll be adding a similar external plugin
interface into grenade early in liberty, a continued expansion on the use of
devstack plugins, and migrating more of tempest's common code over to
tempest-lib.

Additionally, the continued efforts that we've been pushing for some time to
make tempest and the other QA projects easier to use in general, both in and
out of the gate, will definitely continue. This is something we've made a lot of
progress on this past cycle and think it will definitely be a continued priority
for Liberty.

It's been my honor to serve as the QA PTL for the past 2 cycles and I'm looking
forward to helping make Liberty another great cycle. I hope to have the
opportunity to continue leading the QA program as PTL and work towards making
a better OpenStack with the rest of the community.

Thanks,

Matt Treinish

[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-September/046704.html
[2] http://blog.kortar.org/?p=4