[openstack-dev] [TripleO][Heat] Overcloud software updates and ResourceGroups

Fox, Kevin M Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov
Fri Apr 3 00:31:11 UTC 2015

I'm not sure how to feel about this... Its clever...

It kind of feels like your really trying to be able to register 'actions' in heat so that heat users can poke the vm's to do something... For example "perform a chef run".

While using stack updates listed below could be made to work, is that trying to fit a square peg in a round hole? Would it be better to add a separate api for that? Maybe in the end though, thats just is a matter of what command the user runs, rather then how it gets things done? It may be the same under the hood.

What about multiple update actions? Perhaps some types of updates could be run in parallel and others must be done serially? How would you let the Autoscaling group know which updates could run which way?

As for ResourceGroup vs AutoscalingGroup, It would be really good for ResourceGroup to support rolling updates properly too. Would it be very difficult to implement it there too?

While having the updates happen in the template dependency order is interesting, is that really the correct thing to do? Why not reverse order? I'm guessing it may totally depend on the software. Maybe some app needs the clients upgraded before the server, or the server upgraded before the clients? It may even be version specific? There may even be some steps that aren't obvious where to run them.... "update the clients, upgrade the server packages, stop the servers, run the db upgrade script on one of the servers, start up all the servers"

Maybe this is a good place to hook Mistral and Heat together. Heat would have an api that allows actions to be performed on vm's. It would not have any ordering. Mistral could then poke the heat actions api for the stack to assemble workflows... Or for tighter integration, maybe a CompoundAction resource is created that really is a Mistral workflow that pokes the action api, and the workflow was exposed right back through the Heat action api so users could invoke complicated workflows the same way as simple ones...

Thanks,
Kevin