[openstack-dev] [Magnum] Containers and networking

Kevin Benton blak111 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 17:45:09 UTC 2015

+1. I added a suggestion for a container networking suggestion to the
etherpad for neutron. It would be sad if the container solution built yet
another overlay on top of the Neutron networks with yet another network
management workflow. By the time the packets are traveling across the
wires, it would be nice not to have double encapsulation from completely
different systems.

On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 9:51 AM, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 04/02/2015 12:36 PM, Adrian Otto wrote:
> > What to expect in the Liberty release cycle:

> > * Overlay networking
>
> This is totally unrelated to your PTL email, but on this point, I'd be
> curious what the Magnum team thinks of this proposal:
>
> http://openvswitch.org/pipermail/dev/2015-March/052663.html
>
> It's a proposed (and now merged) design for how containers that live
> inside OpenStack managed VMs can be natively connected to virtual
> networks managed by Neutron.  There's some parts of the process that are
> handled by the container orchestration system being used.
>
> --
> Russell Bryant

Kevin Benton