[openstack-dev] [neutron] PTL Candidacy

Kyle Mestery mestery at mestery.com
Thu Apr 2 14:16:00 UTC 2015

Hi everyone:

I'd like to announce my candidacy for another term as the Neutron PTL. I'm
the current Neutron PTL, having been the Neutron PTL for the past two
cycles (Juno and Kilo). I'd like a chance to lead the Neutron team for
another cycle of development.

During the Kilo cycle, we worked hard to expand the capabilities of all
contributors in Neutron. Some examples include the following:

* Plugin decomposition [1] has allowed us to enhance innovation and speed
around plugin and driver development in Neutron.
* Moving our API tests into the Neutron tree from Tempest has allowed us to
better control our API testing destiny.
* The advanced services split [2] has allowed us to continue to scale
development of Neutron by breaking out the advanced services into their own
repositories, with separate core reviewer teams.

These changes have helped to increase the velocity of development for all
parties involved, and yet still maintain testing quality to ensure
stability of code. I'm proud of the work the team has done in this area.
These are the types of things the team needed to do in order to put Neutron
into solid ground to continue development in upcoming cycles.

Looking forward to Liberty, we have a backlog of specs from Kilo which we
hope to land early in Liberty. Things such as pluggable IPAM [3] and the
flavor framework [4] are things which never quite made Kilo and will be
fast tracked into development for Liberty. In addition, we have a large
list of items people are interested in discussing at the upcoming Summit
[5], we'll work to pare that list down into the things we can deliver for
Liberty.

Being PTL is effectively a full time job, and in a lot of cases it's even
more than a full time job. What makes it rewarding is being able to work
with a great group of upstream contributors as you work towards common
goals for each release. I'm proud of the work the Neutron team has done for
the Juno and Kilo cycles, and I graciously look forward to the chance to
lead the team during the upcoming Liberty cycle.

Thank you!
Kyle

[1]
http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/neutron-specs/specs/kilo/core-vendor-decomposition.html