[openstack-dev] The Evolution of core developer to maintainer?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Apr 1 13:09:51 UTC 2015

On 2015-04-01 11:41:29 +0200 (+0200), Thierry Carrez wrote:
[...]
> We used[1] to have 4 groups for each project, mostly driven by the
> need to put people in ACL groups. The PTL (which has ultimate
> control), the Drivers (the trusted group around the PTL which had
> control over blueprint targeting in Launchpad), the Core reviewers
> (which have +2 on the repos in Gerrit), and the bug team (which
> had special Launchpad bugs rights like the ability to confirm
> stuff).
[...]

And here is the crux of the situation, which I think bears
highlighting. These "empowered groups" are (or at least started out
as) nothing more than an attempt to map responsibilities onto the
ACLs available to our projects in the tools we use to do the work.
Coming up with some new pie-in-the-sky model of leadership hierarchy
is an interesting thought exercise, but many people in this
discussion are losing sight of the fact that the model we have is
determined to a great extent by the tools we use. Change the tools
and you may change the model, but changing the model doesn't
automatically change the tools to support it (and those proposing a
new model need to pony up the resources to implement it in
_reality_, not just in _thought_).

Responsibilities not tied to specific controls in our tools do exist
in abundance, but they tend to be more fluid and ad-hoc because in
most cases there's been no need to wrap authorization/enforcement
around them. What I worry is happening is that as a community we're
enshrining the arbitrary constructs which we invented to be able to
configure our tools sanely. I see this discussion as an attempt to
recognize those other responsibilities as well, but worry that
creation of additional unnecessary authorization/enforcement process
will emerge as a "solution" and drive us further into pointless
bureaucracy.
--
Jeremy Stanley