[openstack-dev] [Neutron] [Devstack] Why route for private network is not taken care by neutron?

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Tue Sep 30 12:14:33 UTC 2014

I reckon it is a sort of "convenience" route which allows us to connect
directly to private instances running in the network namespace from the
devstack host without having to use floating ips.

It is something which probably makes sense for dev scenarios only as
FIXED_RANGE is generally not publicly routable, so I doubt it will have any
use in production environments.

Finally, it would be technically possible for neutron to add such route for
every subnet on the host where the l3 agent is running but I don't see this
as something pertaining to neutron. I would simply create a local script
that wrap neutron subnet-create:

neutron subnet-create $network_id $cidr
sudo route add -net $cidr gw $router_gw_ip

Salvatore