[openstack-dev] [oslo] Fate of xmlutils

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Mon Sep 29 16:16:24 UTC 2014

On Sep 29, 2014, at 12:03 PM, Julien Danjou <julien at danjou.info> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was looking at xmlutils today, and I took a look at the history of
> this file that seems to come from a CVE almost 2 years ago.
>
> What is surprising is that, unless I missed something, the only user of
> that lib is Nova. Other projects such as Keystone or Neutron implemented
> things in a different way.
>
> It seems that Python fixed that issue with 2 modules released on PyPI:
>
>  https://pypi.python.org/pypi/defusedxml
>  https://pypi.python.org/pypi/defusedexpat
>
> I'm no XML expert, and I've only a shallow understanding of the issue,
> but I wonder if we should put some efforts to drop xmlutils and our
> custom XML fixes to used instead these 2 modules.
>
> Hint appreciated.

I thought those fixes were also eventually rolled into language releases, and we had planned to stop worrying about using xmlutils after we drop python 2.6 support for master. Am I mistaken about those being rolled into the release?

The defused* packages may have been created/released at the same time as, or after, the module in the incubator. If we do need to continue carrying support for the fix I agree that moving to the 3rd party libraries would make sense.

Doug