[openstack-dev] [all] concrete proposal on changing the library testing model with devstack-gate

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Mon Sep 29 14:10:00 UTC 2014

On Sep 28, 2014, at 5:00 PM, Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:

> [...]
> wants to use that, they could just use it - it will pass the
> integrated gate which tests tip vs tip. But it will fail if any user
> just 'pip install' installs Nova. It will fail for developers too. So
> I think its far better to publish that cinderclient on PyPI so that
> things do work.
>
> And here is where the discussion about alphas comes in.
>
> Should we publish that cinderclient as a release, or as a pre-release preview?
>
> If we publish it as a pre-release preview, we're saying that we
> reserve the right to change the API anyway we want. We're not saying
> that its not release quality: because the API servers can't be at
> release quality if they depend on non-release quality components.
>
> And yet, we /cannot/ change that new cinderclient API anyway we want.
> Deployers have already deployed the API server that depends on it;
> they are pulling from pypi: if we push up a breaking cinderclient
> alpha-2 or whatever, it will break our deployers.
>
> Thats why I say that if we depend on it, its released: because in all
> ways that matter, the constraints that one expects to see on a full
> release, apply to *every commit* we do within the transitive
> dependency tree that is the integrated gate.
>
> And this isn't because we test together - its because the top level
> drivers for that gate are the quality of the API server trees, which
> are CD deployed. The testing strategy doesn't matter so much compared
> to that basic starting point.
>
> To summarise the requirements I believe we have are:
> - every commit of API servers is production quality and release-ready
> [for existing features]
> - we don't break public APIs in projects at the granularity of consumption
>   - Thats per commit for API servers, and
> per-whatever-pip-grabs-when-installing-api-servers for library
> projects
>      (e.g. per-release)
> - requirements.txt should be pip installable at all times
> - and faithfully represent actual dependencies: nothing should break
> if one pip installs e.g. nova from git
>
> Requirements we *do not have*:
> - new features within a project have to be production quality on day one
>   That is, projects are allowed to have code that isn't yet
> supported, though for instance we don't have a good way to annotate
> that X 'will be a public API but is not yet'.
>

> So the alpha thing is a mistake IMO not because we're pushing to PyPI,
> but because we're calling them alphas, which I don't believe
> represents the actual state of the code nor our ability to alter
> things.
>
> Right now we test tip vs tip, so some of this is hidden until it
> breaks TripleO [which is more often than we'd like!] but the
> incremental, don't break things approach is enforced by the gate,
> which is good :).
>
> My proposal, FWIW, would be that we just call the things we push up to
> PyPI releases. We've already tested the code in fair anger in the

As far as I know, the client libraries aren’t being released as alphas. The Oslo libraries are, but they aren’t “public” in the same sense — they’re an internal part of OpenStack, not something a user of a cloud is going to be interacting with. The parts that affect the deployers directly are usually limited to configuration options, and we have a strict deprecation policy for dealing with those, even within the development cycle.

We do reserve the right to change APIs for new features being added to the Oslo libraries during a development cycle. Because we want to support CD, and because of the way we gate test, those changes have to be able to roll out in a backwards-compatible way. (THIS is why the incubator is important for API evolution, by the way, because it mean the API of a module can change and not break any updates in any consuming project or CD environment.) Even if we change the way we gate test the libraries, we would still want to allow for backwards-compatibility, but still only within a development cycle. We do not want to support every API variation of every library for all time. If we have to tweak something, we try to get the consuming projects updated within a cycle so the old variation of the new feature can be removed.

Now, we’re not perfect and sometimes this doesn’t happen exactly as planned, but the intent is there.

So I think we are actually doing all of the things you are asking us to do, with the exception of using the word “alpha” in the release version, and I’ve already given the technical reasons for doing that.

Doug