[openstack-dev] VPNaaS site to site connection down.

Paul Michali (pcm) pcm at cisco.com
Mon Sep 29 10:55:01 UTC 2014

masoom alam,

It’s been a little while since I’ve used the reference VPN implementation, but here are some suggestions/questions…

Can you show the ipsec-site-connection-create command used on each end?
Can you show the topology with IP addresses used (and indicate how the two clouds are connected)?
Are you using devstack? Two physical nodes? How are they interconnected?

First thing would be to ensure that you can ping from one host to another over the public IPs involved. You can then go to the namespace of the router and see if you can ping the public I/F of the other end’s router.

You can look at the screen-q-vpn.log (assuming devstack used) to see if any errors during setup.

Note: When I stack, I turn off neutron security groups and then set nova security groups to allow SSH and ICMP. I imagine the alternative would be to setup neutron security groups to allow these two protocols.

I didn’t quite follow what you meant by "Please note that my two devstack nodes are on different public addresses, so scenario is a little different than the one described here: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Neutron/VPNaaS/HowToInstall”. Can you elaborate (showing the commands and topology will help)?

Germy,

I have created this BP during Juno (unfortunately no progress on it however), regarding being able to see more status information for troubleshooting: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/neutron/+spec/l3-svcs-vendor-status-report

It was targeted for vendor implementations, but would include reference implementation status too. Right now, if a VPN connection negotiation fails, there’s no indication of what went wrong.

Regards,

PCM (Paul Michali)

MAIL …..…. pcm at cisco.com
IRC ……..… pcm_ (irc.freenode.com)
TW ………... @pmichali
GPG Key … 4525ECC253E31A83
Fingerprint .. 307A 96BB 1A4C D2C7 931D 8D2D 4525 ECC2 53E3 1A83