[openstack-dev] [all] setuptools 6.0 ruins the world

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Sat Sep 27 13:27:11 UTC 2014

On 09/27/2014 09:23 AM, Sean Dague wrote:
> If anyone is checking in on their patches this weekend and sees that
> they seem to be failing on really odd stuff, like docs, pep8, unit
> tests... it looks like it's because setuptools 6.0 has a terrible memory
> leak when processing requirements - I've filed it upstream
> https://bitbucket.org/pypa/setuptools/issue/259/setuptools-60-causes-giant-memory-leaks-in
>
> Setuptools 6.0 was released Friday night. (Side note: as a service to
> others releasing major software bumps on critical python software on a
> Friday night should be avoided.)
>
> If anyone has a direct line to setuptools devs, please reach out. The
> entire CI pipeline is basically dead until this is addressed.
>
> Because of how deeply embedded setuptools is in our environment... there
> isn't much we can do without an upstream fix.

Just as I sent this Jason R. Coombs said he pulled the release from
pypi. No idea if that will automatically get pulled from our mirrors or
not, but that should make things function again (see update in -
https://bitbucket.org/pypa/setuptools/issue/259/setuptools-60-causes-giant-memory-leaks-in)

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague