[openstack-dev] [all] concrete proposal on changing the library testing model with devstack-gate

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Sep 26 21:02:15 UTC 2014

On 2014-09-26 16:50:51 -0400 (-0400), Sean Dague wrote:
[...]
> Alternatively, we could actually semver cap on stable (yes we've
> gone around this mulberry bush before, but I think it might be
> time to again), so new feature releases aren't impacting stable.
[...]

Just to pause for a moment at that particular mulberry bush, recall
that pip needs a real dependency solver and so we don't actually
control the upper bounds of transitive dependencies. "That's all
well and good," you say, "we can just worry about our direct
dependencies and keep them all in sync in the requirements lists."
But now think about how we're trying to make some of the projects we
develop more broadly usable outside of OpenStack... just last week I
noticed that one of our transitive dependencies uses pbr, and is
not bound to the same version restrictions as dependencies we happen
to develop ourselves.
--
Jeremy Stanley