[openstack-dev] [Trove] PTL Candidacy

Nikhil Manchanda nikhil at manchanda.me
Thu Sep 25 20:51:24 UTC 2014

I'd like to announce my candidacy for the PTL role of the Database
(Trove) program for Kilo.

I'm the current PTL for Trove for Juno, and during the Juno time frame
we made some really good progress on multiple fronts. We completed the
Neutron integration work that we had started in Icehouse. We've added
support for asynchronous mysql master-slave replication. We added a
clustering API, and an initial implementation of clusters for MongoDB.
We furthered the testability of Trove, by adding more Trove related
tests to Tempest, and are continuing to make good progress updating
and cleaning up our developer docs, install guide, and user
documentation.

For Kilo, I'd like us to keep working on clustering, with the end goal
of being able to provision fully HA database clusters in Trove. This
means a continued focus on clustering for datastores (including a
semi-synchronous mysql clustering solution), as well as heat
integration. I'd also like to ensure that we make progress towards our
goal of integrating trove with a monitoring solution to enable
scenarios like auto-failover, which will be crucial to HA (for async
replication scenarios). I'd also like to ensure that we do a better job
integrating with the oslo libraries. And additionally, I'd like to
keep our momentum going with regards to improving Trove testability
and documentation.

Some of the other work-items that I hope we can get to in Kilo include:

- Packaging the Guest Agent separately from the other Trove services.
- Automated guest agent upgrades.
- Enabling hot pools for Trove instances.
- User access of datastore logs.
- Automated, and scheduled backups for instances.

No PTL candidate email is complete without the commit / review stats,
so here they are:

* My Patches:
  https://review.openstack.org/#/q/owner:slicknik,n,z

* My Reviews:
  https://review.openstack.org/#/q/-owner:slicknik+reviewer:slicknik,n,z

Thanks for taking the time to make it this far,
-Nikhil