[openstack-dev] [Swift] PTL candidacy

John Dickinson me at not.mn
Thu Sep 25 18:50:43 UTC 2014

I'm announcing my candidacy for Swift PTL. I've been involved with Swift specifically and OpenStack in general since the beginning. I'd like to continue to serve in the role as Swift PTL.

In my last candidacy email[1], I talked about several things I wanted to focus on in Swift.

1) Storage policies. This is done, and we're currently building on it to implement erasure code storage in Swift.

2) Focus on performance and efficiency. This is an ongoing thing that is never "done", but we have made improvements here, and there are some other interesting things in-progress right now (like zero-copy data paths).

3) Better QA. We've added a third-party test cluster to the CI system, but I'd like to improve this further, for example by adding our internal integration tests (probe tests) to our QA pipeline.

4) Better community efficiency. Again, we've made some small improvements here, but we have a ways to go yet. Our review backlog is large, and it takes a while for patches to land. We need to continue to improve community efficiency on these metrics.

Overall, I want to ensure that Swift continues to provide a stable and robust object storage engine. Focusing on the areas listed above will help us do that. We'll continue to build functionality that allows applications to rely on Swift to take over hard problems of storage so that apps can focus on adding their value without worrying about storage.

My vision for Swift is that everyone will use it every day, even if they don't realize it. Together we can make it happen.

--John

[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-March/031450.html