[openstack-dev] [Nova] Release criticality of bug 1365606 (get_network_info efficiency for nova-network)

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 23:37:38 UTC 2014

On 09/24/2014 06:51 PM, Michael Still wrote:
> Hi,
>
> so, I'd really like to see https://review.openstack.org/#/c/121663/
> merged in rc1. That patch is approved right now.
>
> However, it depends on https://review.openstack.org/#/c/119521/, which
> is not approved. 119521 fixes a problem where we make five RPC calls
> per call to get_network_info, which is an obvious efficiency problem.
>
> Talking to Vish, who is the author of these patches, it sounds like
> the efficiency issue is a pretty big deal for users of nova-network
> and he'd like to see 119521 land in Juno. I think that means he's
> effectively arguing that the bug is release critical.

While I appreciate that there may be efficiency gains in
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/119521/, these are not things that,
AFAICT, were any different in Icehouse:

http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/nova/tree/nova/db/sqlalchemy/api.py?id=2014.2.b3#n1362

and I don't see how https://review.openstack.org/#/c/121663/ is actually
dependent on https://review.openstack.org/#/c/119521/.

> On the other hand, its only a couple of days until rc1, so we're
> trying to be super conservative about what we land now in Juno.
>
> So... I'd like to see a bit of a conversation on what call we make
> here. Do we land 119521?

At the very least, I would say de-couple the two patches. Definitely
merge 121663 and let 119521 bake a little bit would be my opinion.

I've gone through 119521 three times now, and I don't see anything too
obviously wrong with it. But then again, the DB queries in the
nova-network codebase are generally pretty awkward, and I can't say for
certain whether the joins added to
nova.db.sqlalchemy.api.fixed_ip_get_by_instance() will speed up a few
queries but end up slowing down a number of calls to that method that
don't need the virtual_interface or floating_ips attributes of the
Instance object.

I'd personally like a few more hours tomorrow to go through the code.

Best,
-jay