[openstack-dev] pycharm license?

Andrew Melton andrew.melton at RACKSPACE.COM
Wed Sep 24 15:41:13 UTC 2014

Hey Devs,

I just got clarification on what it was meant by 'commercial developer.' If developer participates in commercial consulting, develops commercial per-order customization / implementation for OpenStack (if any) – they are considered a commercial developer.

As long as you do not meet those criteria, I can provide you the key. To request the key from me, please send me the name of the company you work for (if applicable) and your launchpad id.

Thanks again,
Andrew Melton
________________________________
From: Andrew Melton [andrew.melton at RACKSPACE.COM]
Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 3:12 PM
To: OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] pycharm license?

Hi Devs,

I have the new license, but it has some new restrictions on it's use. I am still waiting on some clarification, but I do know some situations in which I can distribute the license.

I cannot distribute the license to any commercial developers. This means if as part of your job, you are contributing to OpenStack, and if the company you work for provides paid services, support, or training relating to OpenStack, I cannot provide you the license.

If you meet those criteria (I know I do), you are now required to have a commercial license. I'm sure quite a few of us now meet this criteria and are without a license. Another alternative is the free Community Edition.

If you do not meet those criteria, I can provide you with the license. To request the license, please send me an email with your name, the company you work for (if applicable), and your launchpad id. If you are unsure of your situation, it may be best to hold off until I hear back from Jetbrains.

Lastly, as part of Jetbrains granting us this new license, they have asked if anyone would be willing to write a review. If anyone would like to do that, please let me know.

Thanks,
Andrew Melton