[openstack-dev] [all][tripleo] New Project -> Kolla: Deploy and Manage OpenStack using Kubernetes and Docker

Steven Dake sdake at redhat.com
Wed Sep 24 01:06:44 UTC 2014

On 09/23/2014 05:38 PM, Fox, Kevin M wrote:
> I'm interested in how this relates/conflicts with the TripleO goal of
> using OpenStack to deploy OpenStack.
>
> It looks like (maybe just superficially) that Kubernetes is simply a
> combination of (nova + docker driver) = container schedualer and
> (heat) = orchestration. They both schedule containers, will need
> advanced scheduling like "ensure these two containers are on different
> servers (nova ServerGroups), autoscale resources, hook up things
> together, have a json document that describes the desired state,
> etc... If that's the case, it seems odd to use an OpenStack competing
> product to deploy a competitor of Kubernetes. Two software stacks to
> learn how to debug rather then just one.

Kevin,

Thanks for the feedback.

There are two orthogonal points you address re competitiveness.  One is
the deployment program (which Kolla intends to be a part of). The
deployment program includes an implementation (tripleo). TripleO is
focused around using OpenStack to deploy OpenStack. Kolla is focused
around using Kubernetes to deploy OpenStack.  But they both fit into the
same program, and at some point they may even be remerged into both
using OpenStack to deploy OpenStack.  Time will tell.

IMO Kubernetes is not competitive with OpenStack.  The way in which the
Kolla project uses them is in fact complimentary.  In a perfect world
OpenStack's container service (Magnum) + Heat could be used instead of
Kubernetes.  The problem with that approach is the container service for
OpenStack is not functional and not integrated into the release.

It is indeed true that another software stack must be learned.  We hope
to abstract most/all of the differences so the actual maintenance
difference (ie what must be learned) presents a small learning footprint.

> Maybe I'm just totally misunderstanding what Kubernetes is trying to
> accomplish though. I'm not trying to stur up trouble here. I just
> really want to understand how these two technologies fit together.

I don't see you stirring up trouble :)  Essentially this project
proposes an alternative method for deploying OpenStack (ie not using
OpenStack, but using Kubernetes).

I did run the idea by Robert Collins (current TripleO PTL) first before
we got cracking on the code base.  He indicated the approach was worth
experimenting with.

Regards
-steve