[openstack-dev] Thoughts on OpenStack Layers and a Big Tent model

Vishvananda Ishaya vishvananda at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 16:50:20 UTC 2014

On Sep 23, 2014, at 8:40 AM, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:

> If we are no longer incubating *programs*, which are the teams of people who we would like to ensure are involved in OpenStack governance, then how do we make that decision? From a practical standpoint, how do we make a list of eligible voters for a TC election? Today we pull a list of committers from the git history from the projects associated with “official programs", but if we are dropping “official programs” we need some other way to build the list.

Joe Gordon mentioned an interesting idea to address this (which I am probably totally butchering), which is that we make incubation more similar to the ASF Incubator. In other words make it more lightweight with no promise of governance or infrastructure support.

It is also interesting to consider that we may not need much governance for things outside of layer1. Of course, this may be dancing around the actual problem to some extent, because there are a bunch of projects that are not layer1 that are already a part of the community, and we need a solution that includes them somehow.

Vish