[openstack-dev] [RFC] Kilo release cycle schedule proposal

Amir Sadoughi amir.sadoughi at RACKSPACE.COM
Tue Sep 23 15:26:20 UTC 2014

Instead of moving the Kilo cycle a week later (April 23 -> April 30), would it be possible to move the "L" design summit a week ahead (May 18-22 -> May 11-15). This would extend the L-cycle a week. Additionally, this would also help with return travel as the following Monday is Memorial Day; I'd expect return flights starting on Friday to be worse for the weekend of the 22nd, but I don't have data on that.

Amir Sadoughi
From: Thierry Carrez [thierry at openstack.org]
Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 9:54 AM
To: openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [RFC] Kilo release cycle schedule proposal

Sean Dague wrote:
> On 09/23/2014 02:56 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Rather than waste a design summit session about it, I propose we review
>> the proposed Kilo release cycle schedule on the mailing-list. See
>> attached PDF for a picture of the proposal.
>>
>> The hard date the proposal is built around is the next ("L") Design
>> Summit week: May 18-22. That pushes back far into May (the farthest
>> ever). However the M design summit being very likely to come back in
>> October, the release date was set to April 23 to smooth the difference.
>>
>> That makes 3 full weeks between release and design summit (like in
>> Hong-Kong), allowing for an official "off-week" on the week of May 4-8.
>
> Honestly, the off-week really isn't. If we're going to talk about
> throwing a stall week into the dev cycle for spacing, I'd honestly
> rather just push the release back, and be clear to folks that the summer
> cycle is going to be shorter. The off-week I think just causes us to
> lose momentum.

Sure. I'm not adding it for the beauty of it. See below.

>> The rest of the proposal is mostly a no-brainer. Like always, we allow a
>> longer time for milestone 2, to take into account the end-of-year
>> holidays. That gives:
>>
>> Kilo Design Summit: Nov 4-7
>> Kilo-1 milestone: Dec 11
>
> The one thing that felt weird about the cadence of the 1st milestone in
> Havana last year was that it was super start / stop. Dec 11 means that
> we end up with 2 weeks until christmas, so many people are starting to
> wind down. My suggestion would be to push K1 to Dec 18, because I think
> you won't get much K2 content landed that week anyway.
>
> For US people at least this would change the Dec cadence from:
>
> * Holiday Week - Nov 28 is thanksgiving
> * Dev Week
> * Milestone Week
> * Dev Week
> * sort of Holiday Week
> * Holiday Week

> * Holiday Week
> * Dev Week
> * Dev Week
> * Milestone Week
> * sort of Holiday Week
> * Holiday Week
>
> Which I feel is going to get more done. If we take back the off week, we
> could just shift everything back a week, which makes K2 less split by
> christmas.

So we /could/ do:

Kilo Design Summit: Nov 4-7
Kilo-1 milestone: Dec 18
Kilo-2 milestone: Feb 5
Kilo-3 milestone, feature freeze: March 19
2015.1 ("Kilo") release: Apr 30
L Design Summit: May 18-22

The main issue is that it would make a *very* short L cycle. Our best
bet for the M design summit is the week of October 26, so L release
would be Oct 8 or Oct 15. I placed Kilo release on April 23 on the
original plan to try to limit the impact.

If you think shorter is not an issue, I guess that's a valid option.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)