[openstack-dev] [RFC] Kilo release cycle schedule proposal

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Sep 23 11:53:42 UTC 2014

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 07:42:30AM -0400, Sean Dague wrote:
> On 09/23/2014 02:56 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Rather than waste a design summit session about it, I propose we review
> > the proposed Kilo release cycle schedule on the mailing-list. See
> > attached PDF for a picture of the proposal.
> >
> > The hard date the proposal is built around is the next ("L") Design
> > Summit week: May 18-22. That pushes back far into May (the farthest
> > ever). However the M design summit being very likely to come back in
> > October, the release date was set to April 23 to smooth the difference.
> >
> > That makes 3 full weeks between release and design summit (like in
> > Hong-Kong), allowing for an official "off-week" on the week of May 4-8.
>
> Honestly, the off-week really isn't. If we're going to talk about
> throwing a stall week into the dev cycle for spacing, I'd honestly
> rather just push the release back, and be clear to folks that the summer
> cycle is going to be shorter. The off-week I think just causes us to
> lose momentum.

I didn't really notice anyone stop working in the last off-week we
had. Changes kept being submitted at normal rate, people kept talking
on IRC, etc, etc. An off-week is a nice idea in theory but it didn't
seem to have much effect in practice AFAICT.

> > The rest of the proposal is mostly a no-brainer. Like always, we allow a
> > longer time for milestone 2, to take into account the end-of-year
> > holidays. That gives:
> >
> > Kilo Design Summit: Nov 4-7
> > Kilo-1 milestone: Dec 11
>
> The one thing that felt weird about the cadence of the 1st milestone in
> Havana last year was that it was super start / stop. Dec 11 means that
> we end up with 2 weeks until christmas, so many people are starting to
> wind down. My suggestion would be to push K1 to Dec 18, because I think
> you won't get much K2 content landed that week anyway.
>
> For US people at least this would change the Dec cadence from:
>
> * Holiday Week - Nov 28 is thanksgiving
> * Dev Week
> * Milestone Week
> * Dev Week
> * sort of Holiday Week
> * Holiday Week

> * Holiday Week
> * Dev Week
> * Dev Week
> * Milestone Week
> * sort of Holiday Week
> * Holiday Week
>
> Which I feel is going to get more done. If we take back the off week, we
> could just shift everything back a week, which makes K2 less split by
> christmas.
>
> > Kilo-2 milestone: Jan 29
> > Kilo-3 milestone, feature freeze: March 12
> > 2015.1 ("Kilo") release: Apr 23
> > L Design Summit: May 18-22

I find it kind of wierd that we have 1 month gap between Kilo being
released and the L design summit taking place. The design summits are
supposed to be where we talk about & agree the big themes of the
release, but we've already had 4+ weeks of working on the release by
the time the summit takes place ?!?! Not to mention that we branched
even before that, so work actually takes place even further in advance
of the design summit. I feel this is a contributing factor to the first
milestone being comparatively less productive than the later milestones
and causes big work to get pushed out later in the cycle. We really want
to try and encourage work to happen earlier in the cycles to avoid the
big crunch in m3. Is there a reason for this big gap between release
and summit, or can we let Kilo go longer by 2-3 weeks, so we have better
alignment between design summit happening & milestone1 dev cycle start ?

Regards,
Daniel