[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Set WIP for stale patches?

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Tue Sep 23 01:49:08 UTC 2014

On Fri 19 Sep 2014 09:25:10 AM PDT, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> Here we'll just have to agree to disagree. I think core reviewers
> hiding behind an automated process so that they don't have to
> confront contributors about stalled/inadequate changes is inherently
> less friendly. Clearly you feel that contributors are less likely to
> be offended if a machine tells them they need to revisit a change
> because it's impersonal and therefore without perceived human
> judgement.

I think that, if done well, having an automated process that nudges
owners of a patch when needed could be valuable. Having to rely on
core-reviewers to start a confrontation may also work, but they need to
be given tools to engage gently and not piss people off. Sometimes
leaving the hard job to machines is the right thing to do: don't we
automatically welcome new committers? Why not nudge them if they
disappear?

What I don't understand is how hard is to implement the automated
workflow in newer gerrit and if it's worth pursuing it.

/stef