[openstack-dev] Thoughts on OpenStack Layers and a Big Tent model

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Mon Sep 22 19:33:45 UTC 2014

On Sep 22, 2014, at 3:11 PM, Tim Bell <Tim.Bell at cern.ch> wrote:

> On 22 Sep 2014, at 20:53, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:

>>> Hey Monty,
>>>
>>> As you can imagine, I read that post with great attention. I generally
>>> like the concept of a tightly integrated, limited-by-design layer #1
>>> (I'd personally call it "Ring 0") and a large collection of "OpenStack"
>>> things gravitating around it. That would at least solve the attraction
>>> of the integrated release, suppress the need for incubation, foster
>>
>> I’m not sure I see this change reducing the number of incubated projects unless we no longer incubate and graduate projects at all. Would everything just live on stackforge and have a quality designation instead of an “officialness” designation? Or would we have both? ATC status seems to imply we need some sort of officialness designation, as you mention below.
>>

> The quality designation is really important for the operator community who are trying to work out what we can give to our end users.
>
> Offering early helps to establish the real-life experience and give good feedback on the designs.  However, the operator then risks leaving their users orphaned if the project does not get a sustainable following or significant disruption if the APIs change.
>
> The packaging teams are key here as well. When do Ubuntu and Red Hat work out the chain of pre-reqs etc. to produce installable packages, packstack/juju tool support ?
>
> We do need to have some way to show that an layer #2 package is ready for prime time production and associated criteria (packages available, docs available, >1 company communities, models for HA and scale, …)

Right. I’m trying to understand if we are talking about doing that *instead* of our existing incubation/graduation process, or in addition to that process as a new thing. I like the idea of adding a quality designation. I’m not sure replacing our existing process with that designation is a good idea.

Doug