[openstack-dev] [neutron] [infra] Python 2.6 tests can't possibly be passing in neutron

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Mon Sep 22 18:17:04 UTC 2014

On 09/22/2014 10:58 AM, Kevin L. Mitchell wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-09-22 at 10:32 -0700, Armando M. wrote:
>> What about:
>>
>> https://github.com/openstack/neutron/blob/master/test-requirements.txt#L12
>
> Pulling in ordereddict doesn't do anything if your code doesn't use it
> when OrderedDict isn't in collections, which is the case here.  Further,
> there's no reason that _get_collection_kwargs() needs to use an
> OrderedDict: it's initialized in an arbitrary order (generator
> comprehension over a set), then later passed to functions with **, which
> converts it to a plain old dict.

So - as an update to this, this is due to RedHat once again choosing to
backport features from 2.7 into a thing they have labeled 2.6.

We test 2.6 on Centos6 - which means we get RedHat's patched version of
Python2.6 - which, it turns out, isn't really 2.6 - so while you might
want to assume that we're testing 2.6 - we're not - we're testing
2.6-as-it-appears-in-RHEL.

This brings up a question - in what direction do we care/what's the
point in the first place?

Some points to ponder:

 - 2.6 is end of life - so the fact that this is coming up is silly, we
should have stopped caring about it in OpenStack 2 years ago at least
 - Maybe we ACTUALLY only care about 2.6-on-RHEL - since that was the
point of supporting it at all
 - Maybe we ACTUALLY care about 2.6 support across the board, in which
case we should STOP testing using Centos6 which is not actually 2.6

I vote for just amending our policy right now and killing 2.6 with
prejudice.

(also, I have heard a rumor that there are people running in to problems
due to the fact that they are deploying onto a two-release-old version
of Debian. No offense - but there is no way we're supporting that)