[openstack-dev] [Nova] - do we need .start and .end notifications in all cases ?

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 14:43:37 UTC 2014

On 09/22/2014 07:35 AM, Day, Phil wrote:
> I'm just a tad worried that this sounds like its starting to use
> notification as a replacement for logging.    If we did this for
> every CRUD operation on an object don't we risk flooding the
> notification system.

Notifications of this sort aren't a replacement for logging. In fact,
you'll notice that in many cases, a notification is sent at the same
time a particular logging event is written to the log streams. The
difference is that logging isn't consumable by the same systems that
notifications are. They serve a different audience.

Both need to be standardized and cleaned up, though! :)

Best,
-jay