[openstack-dev] [Heat] PTL non-candidacy

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Mon Sep 22 12:25:32 UTC 2014

In an announcement that should (hopefully) be a surprise to nobody, I
will not be a candidate for Orchestration PTL for Kilo.

As I wrote when I ran for the position 6 months ago[1], I think that
Heat's tradition of rotating the PTL for each cycle is a great way to
build leadership depth in the team and maintain our collaborative
culture as well as prevent burnout. I believe we have multiple capable
candidates in the Heat core team, all of whom I would be happy to see
run for election.

A large part of my goal as PTL in Juno was to reduce the amount of work
that the next PTL will have to take on, and I would consider that a
qualified success - the new liaison system should make delegation easier
while remaining legible to the greater OpenStack project. Of course I
(and the other former PTLs) will be available to help with the
transition. (Also, I made a wiki page:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Heat/PTLGuide.)

I may well run for election again in the future, if my goal of
abolishing the PTL position altogether is not achieved before then, but
for now I'll continue my role in the core team and look forward to
working with the next PTL. It has been an honour to represent this
amazing team of engineers for the past 6 months, thank you all!

cheers,
not Steve.

[1]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-March/031403.html