[openstack-dev] [Nova] - do we need .start and .end notifications in all cases ?

Day, Phil philip.day at hp.com
Mon Sep 22 11:03:02 UTC 2014

Hi Folks,

I'd like to get some opinions on the use of pairs of notification messages for simple events.   I get that for complex operations on an instance (create, rebuild, etc) a start and end message are useful to help instrument progress and how long the operations took.    However we also use this pattern for things like aggregate creation, which is just a single DB operation - and it strikes me as kind of overkill and probably not all that useful to any external system compared to a a single event ".create" event after the DB operation.

There is a change up for review to add notifications for service groups which is following this pattern (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/107954/) - the author isn't doing  anything wrong in that there just following that pattern, but it made me wonder if we shouldn't have some better guidance on when to use a single notification rather that a .start/.end pair.

Does anyone else have thoughts on this , or know of external systems that would break if we restricted .start and .end usage to long-lived instance operations ?

Phil