[openstack-dev] [Heat] Announcing my candidacy for PTL

Angus Salkeld asalkeld at mirantis.com
Mon Sep 22 00:15:22 UTC 2014

I would like to announce my candidacy for the position of Orchestration PTL.

After contributing to Heat since it was created, I feel like I know what
Heat is and can do.
We have some really big challenges ahead to ensure that Heat is scalable
and stays relevant.

The big issues for Heat that I want to focus on are:

The TripleO project have used Heat extensively and found it to be lacking
in a number of
areas, I believe that this is great feedback that we need to respond to
very quickly.
We are starting some of this (the convergence work) but I'd like to get
more involved with this
to make sure we can get to a solution in a timely manner.

How do other projects that have been working hard in the orchestration area
(TOSCA, Murano and Mistral) fit into OpenStack, and in particular, how they
integrate
with Heat and the Orchestration program. There is obviously lots of talk in
this area
(tent sizes), but I think we need to start looking forward to understand
how these
projects could fit together to form a cohesive product for OpenStack.

How do we integrate better with existing OpenSource orchestration tools
that users
are familiar with using. Hopefully OpenStack orchestration does not begin
and end
with a CloudFormation based solution. I look forward to some fun
discussions in this
area;)

In conclusion these are exciting times for OpenStack and in particular
Orchestration.
I'd love the opportunity to face these challenges head on with our great
community.

Regards
Angus Salkeld